Optimization Research Scientist
Employeur : Flanders Make vzw
By exploring and prototyping mathematical optimization techniques, you generate alternative designs for complex products (machines, vehicles, â€¦)
Companies are looking forward to take the next step towards an innovative design process.
As a researcher in multidisciplinary design optimization, you will have the opportunity to work on challenging optimization problems and apply various optimization techniques to generate solutions for machine designers. Typical design problems are constraint-based and multi-objective, requiring advanced non-linear mixed-integer solvers.
Focusing on knowledge based engineering tools for high-tech machine and vehicle design, you will:
- work together in a small research team combining expertise insignal processing, computer vision, mechatronics, robotics, machine learning, artificial intelligencemodelling of cyber-physical systems.
- define the adequate models to capture the essence of the problem in the early stages of the design , and identify the parameters linked to the machine or vehicle behavior;
- solve (multi-objective) optimization problems using methods (including but not limited to) convex optimization, constraint programming, nonlinear programming, â€¦ Decision variables can be continuous and/or discrete.
- program, implement, test and verify the performance of these methodologies with prototype tools developed in e.g. Cplex, MiniZinc, ASP, Matlab.
- Flanders Make gives you the opportunity to develop yourself in the network of top industry and universities and research institutes;
- An open-minded, flexible and challenging working environment;
- A warm atmosphere and top colleagues;
- An attractive salary with fringe benefits.
Flanders Make colleagues work together on projects in Belgium at site Lommel, site Kortrijk and at site Leuven (flexible workplace policy). Depending on your place of residence or preference, you can work in our offices in Lommel, Kortrijk or in Leuven.
Flanders Make is the strategic research center for the manufacturing industry. Our mission is to strengthen the long-term international competitiveness of the Flemish manufacturing industry. Thatâ€™s why we work together with SMEs and large companies on pre-competitive, industry-driven technological research, resulting in concrete product and production innovation in the vehicle industry, the manufacturing industry, and production environments.
Because of our unique position between industry and research, our teams combine application and system proficiency with technological and scientific knowledge. We focus on 4 key competences, all based on modelling and virtualization:
- Sensing, monitoring, control and decision-making for products and production
- (Co)design and optimization of products and production
- Motion product specification, architecture, and validation
- Flexible assembly specification, architecture, and validation
We operate from our offices in Leuven and Lommel and from research facilities at the Flemish universities. Learn more about working at Flanders Make on www.flandersmake.be/jobs
Profil / Qualifications Requises
- a Phd in Engineering (Computer Science) or Mathematics (Applied Mathematics, Statistics) or other relevant domain;
- a track record in the field of optimization;
- experience with constraint solvers, search algorithms and optimization toolboxes (Matlab, Cplex);
- a keen interest to apply theoretical concepts on practical case problems.
Any experience with applications on machines and/or vehicles, or affinity with modelling software (Simscape, Amesim, Matlab, Simulink) is a plus.
- passionate about research and new technologies
- a good conceptual thinker
- result oriented, responsible, self directing and team player
- a good communicator
- eager to learn
How to apply? Do you feel you can contribute to our research with your expertise? Do you share our values and our mission? We are looking forward to reading about your story, your interest in Flanders Make and for this job in particular. To apply, please send your motivation letter and cv to [email protected]